SullivanMunce offers acrylic class and requests vintage phones
The SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., offers several upcoming events. Call the center at 873-4900 or visit www.sullivanmunce.org for more information.
• Acrylic Painting — 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays now to Feb. 25. Students will learn the basics of acrylics or expand their current knowledge. Experiment with the many techniques possible with this versatile paint medium. John P. Hanks instructs. Cost: $270/$295 (members/non-members). Supplies are additional.
• History of the Telephone: A new exhibit opening in 2009. the museum is seeking vintage or antique telephones, toy telephones or telephone-related artifacts from individuals or organizations willing to loan or donate them to the museum for two years. Call Kay Cuningham at the museum for more information.
Programs at Zion Nature Center upcoming
The Zion Nature Center, 690 Beech St., will feature Mammals on the Move — through February. Get a close-up view of the collection of taxidermy mammals, mammal puppets and toys in this interactive, fun and educational exhibit for even the little ones. Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Zionsville. Call the Nature Center at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenter.org for more information or to register for classes.
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Library events
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., has several upcoming events. Registration is required for each children’s class and some adult programs. Call 873-3149 to register.
• Get Inspired — 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 4, Computer Lab B. Get more out of the Internet with Inspire: Indiana’s Virtual Library. Participants will learn how to use this free Web site, which offers residents access to a suite of databases, including academic, business, health, magazines, science and more. Participants must know how to use a “mouse.”
• AARP Tax Aide — 1 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 5 to April 9, Lora Hussey and Olive Hoffman rooms. Taxpayers age 60 and older, as well as low-and middle-income earners, may visit the library for free income tax help on a first-come, first-served basis. No reservations accepted. A list of required documents is available at the teen and adult reference desk or by calling 873-8341.
• Books over Coffee — Noon to 1 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 10, Lora Hussey Program Room. Take a break, bring a sack lunch and join fellow book lovers to talk about favorite authors and their latest novels. This information book discussion group meets the second Tuesday of each month. Coffee and treats are provided. No registration required for this drop-in program. Sessions will continue March 10, April 14, May 12, June 9 and July 14.
• Introduction to Ancestry.com — 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 10, Computer Lab B. Certified genealogist Betty Warren will showcase Ancestry.com to interested adults. Participants will learn helpful tips on researching their family history online.
• Weekend to End Breast Cancer orientation — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 10, Olive Hoffman Room. Orientation for those interested in walking a two-day, 38 mile route through Indianapolis in September. Call 879-WALK for information.
• Angelina Dancerina — 10 a.m. or 1 p.m. Friday, February 13, for ages 3 to 6. Put on your tutus and ballet shoes, listen to Angelina Ballerina stories and dance the time away at the library.
• Melted Hearts — 10 a.m. for ages 3 to 6 and 1 p.m. for ages 7 to 12, Saturday, Feb. 14. Bring your yucky, old, broken crayons and we’ll turn them into a beautiful Valentine.
Habitat steward training slated
Would you like to learn more about creating and maintaining a wildlife habitat? Want to put that knowledge to work with hands-on activity and in an advisory role? Then register to train and certify as a habitat steward with the National Wildlife Federation. Training will take place from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 5, 12, 19 and 26, March 6 and 12, and from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, March 7 at the IWF Office, 4715 W. 106th St., Zionsville. Cost is $45 for materials, manuals and snacks. Call the IWF office at 875-9453, 1-800-347-9442 or e-mail email@example.com to register.
Woman’s Club of Zionsville to meet
The Woman’s Club of Zionsville will meet at 1 p.m. Friday, Feb. 6, at the SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St.
Library slates book sale
A Winter Book Sale will take place Friday, Feb. 6, through Sunday, Feb. 8, at the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, sponsored by the Zionsville Friends of the Library. Books, tapes, cassettes, CDs and DVDs will be on sale in the Program Room of the library.
A preview sale from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 6 is the first opportunity to make purchases. Admission for the preview sale is $5 per adult. Shoppers must use the first floor entrance at 250 N. Fifth St. because the preview is after-hours. The sale will continue from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 7 and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 8. There is free admission on Saturday or Sunday. Shoppers may buy a grocery bag of books for $10 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday; on Sunday, the same bag will cost $5.
Union hosts fundraiser
Union Elementary PTO’s largest annual fundraiser, a “basket” auction, will take place from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, Feb. 6, in the Stonegate Meeting House.
The auction will feature a variety of merchandise, services and experiences from local merchants, including a 30-minute plane ride; spa services, tickets to Conner Prairie, the Indianapolis Zoo, a laser flash birthday party and more. Classroom baskets created by the students and family baskets will be on the block and several raffles will also take place. Admission is $15 per person and includes wine, soda, snacks and desserts. Cash or checks will be accepted for purchases.
Call Bonnie Smith at 733-6372 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Heather Gallagher at 919-4933 (email@example.com) for tickets and more information. Money raised will help fund enrichment programs for all Union students.
40s-style Valentine Dinner Dance slated
A 17 piece Big Band Orchestra will be featured at a 40s-style Valentine’s Day Dinner Dance, beginning at 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 14, at Indianapolis Executive Airport, Montgomery Aviation Hanger, 29 East State Road 32. The event is a fundraiser for the Commemorative Air Force. Dinner will be followed by dancing to a live band in a hanger containing vintage aircraft and vehicles. The cost is $40 per person; $75 per couple. For reservations, call Carl Winkler at 769-4487 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Zionsville Women’s Tennis League announces its doubles only spring 2009 season. The season of two-hour weekly sessions will run on various days and times, by level, between Monday, April 6 to Friday, May 22. The cost is $20 and registration is due by Friday, Feb. 20. Registration forms are available at the Zionsville Chamber of Commerce, 135 S. Elm St.
Call 769-1118 for more information.
Village Garden Club announces grants program
The Village Garden Club is accepting applications for grants of up to $250 for the beautification of public areas in Zionsville. Contact Marcia Meury, club president, at 873-9274 by Feb. 28.
Girl Scouts seek Depression-era residents
Members of Zionsville Girl Scout Troop No. 249, working on a local history project to earn their Gold Award, are asking persons who lived in Indiana during the Great Depression to come forward with recipes and stories to contribute to the project. Please call Shelley Lakshmanan at 873-4801 if you feel you have something to contribute or have questions.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements will run at least once. Visit www.timessentinel.com for a more complete list of upcoming events.